29 October 2006

Just Friends, Or How My Intimate Knowledge of Tigers Pitching Is Ruining My Dating Life

I met S. for drinks a couple of nights ago. Not too bad as far as first dates go, but I don't want it to go further as anything but friends. But as I was checking out the Tigers-Cards during a lull in the conversation, I wondered exactly how he would know I wasn't interested.

I don't really get nervous on dates, I get along well with guys anyway (and enjoy talking about sports), and given a reasonably warm date I'm friendly (though not flirty) from the beginning without the typical awkwardness period. On early dates, these all combine to make me act similarly whether I'm interested or not.

I was still thinking about it the next night when K. came over for dinner. The same general friendliness that might have given S. some false hope has caused a couple of guys I did like to tell me that they couldn't figure out if I was interested in them. I suspect it also caused K. to leave the first two dates with a kiss on the cheek. So how would I keep it friendly rather than cheesy, but let K. know I was interested?

Then I realized that, well, I could kiss him. So that's what I did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay! kissing is a very clear (and fun) communication tool. you rock.

Anonymous said...

I usually think body language gives pretty good indications as to whether a girl likes you or not. But some girls are so friendly but not flirtatious, like you described yourself, that you can't even tell at all. Your solution to just kiss the guy is solid... Being a dude, I usually just give it the old college try and go for a kiss. What's the worst that could happen, right?

Also, Are you worried that K. and S. read your blog?