19 November 2007

Love Is

There's an article in the New York Times today called Love in the Time of Dementia. Mostly, it talks about the different experiences of love between young couples and old couples. You can read it for yourself, but I will tell you the most touching story I've heard in a log time.

Former justice Sandra Day O'Connor's husband of 55 years is having an affair with another woman. He has Alzheimer's and lives in an assisted living facility and has struck up a romance with another woman who lives nearby. Justice O'Connor, for her part, is delighted and even visits with the new couple.

"Young love is about wanting to be happy," says psychologist Mary Pipher (didn't she write Raising Ophelia?). "Old love is about wanting someone else to be happy."

For my part, I think I have a lot of growing up to do...

No comments: