21 January 2008

Roots

I have a friend who recently moved to Denver. And loves it. Which, from what I hear from people who have been there, isn't surprising. And she thinks I would love it as well. I'm not so sure about that (I don't ski. Who ever heard of someone living in Colorado who doesn't ski or camp?), but I've heard enough similar sentiment lately to get me thinking.

I've always liked Seattle and I certainly wouldn't turn down the sun in Las Vegas, and then there's this whole Colorado thing and for the first time since junior year of college, I'm honestly considering the possibility that I could live somewhere else. I wouldn't say I'm unhappy here by any means, but in some ways it isn't quite what I had in mind either.

While this will always be home in some sense, my family isn't here anymore. I have a crapload of acquaintances and a few real friends that I love, but there are still times when I feel that in the majority of my relationships, I'm the one doing the work. I'm working on staying in touch and making plans and remembering birthdays and siblings and...food dislikes. Which is probably unfair, but that's how I feel. I realize that people aren't necessarily here to be my family, but I'm that kind of friend when I choose to be, so I don't know why I shouldn't expect it from other people.

Actually, sometimes I wonder if this is related to most people's lack of general togetherness. I think I like to have very close friends and family because my own thoughts and experiences aren't really enough to occupy me 24-7. Despite being perfectly happy spending time alone, other people genuinely do interest me. I enjoy trying to figure out what their families are like or what they think of federal holidays no longer being observed (or whatever. this just comes to mind today). But for a lot of people I know, it seem to be all they can do to keep their basic day-to-day from falling apart. And I guess I see, then, why they seem to prefer acquaintances. And that's not a judgment, really. But boy, are they bad choices for me.

Back to the point, there have been three job searches with varying and ultimately disappointing results, a host of mildly fun sports teams, and way too many nights where everyone around me is drunk. And with my only other experience being in a rural college town, it's hard for me to decide whether any of these things would be different in another city. But I guess what it all boils down to is that the next time I look for a job (likely late this year), I will look in other places. And maybe there's a time limit on this whole Chicago thing. Or at least a time to actively make a decision about it. Like 2010, which sounds like a time sufficiently in the future (despite the complaining, I know it would be tough to leave). I was surprised to find myself thinking that in the car the other day.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Unless you have another mystery friend who recently moved to Denver, I'll speak from the point of view of the lead-in character. While I of course am biased toward Colorado, I absolutely support redefining your path and exploring new territory wherever that may take you. I believe it provides not only a sense of reinvigoration and new lease on life, so to speak, but also a sense of accomplishment. For me, I was at a point where I had a well-established life in Chicago and while I loved it, I knew that it was not where I ultimately wanted to be. Putting a new plan into action can give you an energy boost and an added sense of pride in moving toward new goals, things which I believe many people are in need of after a few solid years in the working world.

Even if your passion for skiing or camping is less than zealous, I tend to believe that places like Denver or Seattle have a little bit more of "everything" than most major cities.
From what I’ve seen, being active and pursuing new ventures are integrated into daily life in such locales. It’s nice to feel like the average 20- or 30-something has interests beyond work, drinking and the occasional IM sports game. (That is not to say that large metropolises do not have alternatives, but rather that the above activities tend to be highly visible in most young folks’ lives.)

Toying with the idea is the first step. Deciding on your new habitat comes next, but it's all about pulling the trigger. As tough as it may be, and as drawn out as the decision may seem, it really is about that moment where you say, "I'm in."

Regardless of where your ideal haven may be, the decision to take the reigns is a great one and can go a long way in shaping your perspective on work, relationships and life in general. More power to you as the idea floats through your head. Perhaps you’ll float right on over to Colorado :)