09 October 2008

Break's Over

Bathroom-related humor never fails. I've been saving this one for a while (apologies to the one person who already knows about it).

Prior to August, any woman who began work on the 6th floor of my building was warned not to use the second stall in the bathroom. Nothing was wrong (or disgusting) about it per se, but there was an unfortunate structural stall defect wherein opening the door of the first stall created a squish effect that opened the door of the second. So you didn't use the second stall unless there was no other choice and even then, you had to be in a state of cat-like readiness so you could slam the door shut when it opened to avoid suddenly having a clear view of the handwashers in the mirror.

But then one day in August, I had no choice (it seems somehow too awkward to wait in line to pee when there's an empty stall), so I walked in and sat down with one hand waiting for duty (hee hee, duty). But then something white in the upper right hand corner caught my eye. Someone had macgyvered a little door clasp out of a plastic box. One side had been removed so it could be slipped on the door and a little handle was added with a utilitarian note reading "slide me to the right to close door"

And you thought people who work in finance weren't creative. Sky's the limit when it comes to peace in the bathroom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that someone - no doubt a strategic thinker - solved this problem not just for herself, but for everyone. I think she deserves a bonus and maybe even a promotion.

I'm also really glad you're back. Great post! (I particularly like "unfortunate structural stall defect" and "state of cat-like readiness.")

kimberly salem said...

awesome! :) this is a much more useful version of the "if you sprinkle..." bathroom signs. also, i love the verb "to macgyver"