05 November 2008

The Dawn's Early Light

I wrote once before of a longing for some magic in the world. I think we got a little Tuesday night. Whatever your political leanings, if John Lewis talking about the bridge in Selma juxtaposed with Barack Obama's acceptance speech doesn't get to you, I don't know what could.

I was watching the election returns at a friend's apartment and she had a long, skinny, scroll-like poster of Abraham Lincoln (I think it was from a library event of some kind) posted not too far from the TV. And when Obama quoted Lincoln: "We are not enemies, but friends…though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection," I looked up at him and I'm pretty sure he winked ...

I'm trying hard to separate this feeling, this excitement, from simply being on the winning side. After all, this is the first time I've been part of an electorate that didn't choose George W. Bush. But there's more to it this time. There's a unity that I hope everyone can feel, Republican or Democrat. It was palpable; even McCain felt it (if he had campaigned as eloquently and sincerely as he conceded, he might well have been elected). I hesitate to draw this comparison, but it reminded me in some ways of the immediate aftermath of September 11th. Of course, this was positive while that was horrific, but that's the last time I can remember feeling so emotional, connected both to those around me and those who lived before, and above all, so American.

This was a watershed moment in American history and I feel humbled to have been both a spectator and a participant. It's a turning point, hopefully not just because the president-elect is black (and believe me, there's a not so hidden part of me that wishes he were a woman instead), but because he'll be everything we hope he is. All partisanship aside, it's hard to deny that it has been a pretty difficult couple of years for all parts of the real America (sorry, couldn't resist!) but as I heard many people said Tuesday night, I've never been prouder to be an American.


Side note: Did you all catch Chicago on TV Tuesday night? Looked beautiful, as always ;)

No comments: