28 March 2007

Knight in Blue Pants

I was carrying a box from the car to the office yesterday afternoon when I ran into P. our friendly neighborhood mailman who has a thing for me. Actually, he is the reason I've learned that the answer to the question, "does the pretty lady have a boyfriend" is YES. (P. seems like a nice enough guy, but he's gotta have at least ten years on me. And he owns a hip hop clothing store. I'm not sure we'd have a lot in common). I put the box down inside to find my office keys just as P. was walking in to put the mail in the wrong boxes (I'm glad his retail operation is doing well, because mailmanning isn't exactly his strong point).

He smiled at me, completely without awkwardness despite the fact that I awkwardly turned down his request for a date last month and said, "I wish I'd seen you carrying that - I would have carried it for you."

I replied, "Oh, it's not that heavy."

He said, "I know it's not heavy, but I still would have carried it."

And guess what? It made my day.

3 comments:

Liz McKeon said...

Aw. Chivalry does exist!

As an aside, I have never seen a mailcarrier who isn't at least pushing 45.

Anonymous said...

This is a very sweet post. P. sounds gallant, if a little creepily interested in someone too young for him, and you've got to appreciate his taste in women!

Anonymous said...

How did you tell me this story and leave out the part where he asked you out? If you want to make sure I'm still reading, it's working. You're a tricky devil!