04 September 2006

Happy Labor Day

Speaking of labor, you know what I don't understand? The job market. You know why? Because I somehow failed to get a job I was absolutely perfect for. There's a non-profit in Chicago that uses sports to empower young women and teach them leadership and life skills. They were looking for a program coordinator for their after-school program in the Chicago Public Schools (yes, many of the same schools I'm working in now).

So. Let's get this straight. These people needed someone with an interest and background in athletics to do my job with the same kids. Not only have I been practically doing this exact job for two years, I can actually prove an interest in sports--I still play at least twice a week! I've even coached kids before. Ever hear the story about the person that sent her resume to HR to apply for her own job and didn't get it? Well...

Having failed to get a job where the description pretty closely resembled my resume, I guess I go back to applying for jobs that
a) I'm mildly qualified for and
b) sound slightly less dull than my current job.

2 comments:

Liz McKeon said...

Aaaaaaaah.

Well. The cliched response is, "This just means that something better is out there fo ryou, and you haven't found it yet." Or, "If they're not smart enough to realize that you're perfect for that job, then you don't want to work there, anyway." Of course, saying neither of these to you is particularly helpful. Sorry, hun. If I were you, I'd go outside and throw some softballs at a backstop as hard as I could. Or I'd just throw my flipflops at the wall. I haven't done that in awhile...... best of luck. It'll happen.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is that the job market in Chicago is as bad as the one in Seattle for the same reason.
*sigh* employers just don't know a good thing when she presents herself.
Hang in there.