11 September 2006

Hell In A Handbasket

I got the apartment I wanted, which was GREAT, both because there was a fair amount of drama and because I haven't gotten some...other...things I wanted lately. But now I'm deeply mired in the whole moving process.

I have some overlap between the two leases and can easily move the small things myself, but have a few bigger pieces of furniture that I don't really trust my friends with. Let's just say that good intentions don't move a queen size mattress down a curved staircase. So I need a little help with labor, but moving companies don't seem to differentiate between a full scale apartment and a couple of pieces of furniture. So I'm left with independent little operations and everything sounds great, but you just don't know when push comes to shove if they'll really show up and be as experienced as they say.

I guess I wouldn't know for sure, but it seems to me that even one generation ago, this kind of thing was a little more certain. Or at least it would have been horrifying if you did get ripped off and definitely would have merited more than a shrug. What do you suppose has changed that? Increasing uncertainty in the world? Globalization and the resulting breakdown of the insular community? Anonymity of the internet?

Anyway, cross your fingers that my guys show up.

2 comments:

Sela said...

Fingers are crossed. You're such a grown up, all this living on your own and hiring people to move your stuff. I'm still in the "borrowed van and a six pack" phase of life....

Pictures of the new place? Please?

Anonymous said...

What changed that in my curmudgeonly opinion is parents doing their kids' homework, teachers giving As to work that deserves Cs, employers giving raises to people who do basically nothing but show up, and everything else that leads to the kind of entitlement mentality that causes people to think it's ok to do a half-assed job or get a gift and not write a thank you note or go through a red light because they’re in a hurry and, really, they’re more important than the people with the green light or any one of a million other evidences of not giving a shit personally and not holding others accountable.