16 July 2006

The Grinch of Summer

That's what I am. It's about 95 degrees here in Chicago today with a heat index over 100 and I'm supposed to be all excited because "it's summer!"? We played three hours of baseball this morning and I swear, it felt like we were all playing in my shower. Do you realize that it would feel just like this if you were occupying space in your own bloodstream? How does that qualify as good weather?

The funny thing is that no one ever gets bothered for complaining about winter. Nope. From January to March, the capacity people have for listening to whining about the weather is essentially unlimited. But put the sun out and the temperature above 65 (no matter how far above) and it's "nice out."

Baseball is a blast though, and I appreciate being able to be outside. I think I'm really just sore about it because Chicago may have the worst weather anywhere (well, Minneapolis...). Okay, it could be worse than 100 degrees, but it's not like this is the tropics--in five months, it could be ten below zero! That seems just a little unfair. Just saying.

The temperature is supposed to break a bit (down to 85-woohoo.) on Tuesday for the much awaited arrival of my mommy, and I'm looking forward to perhaps the only person who can complain more about the humidity than I. Mom, I am impressed by your almost complete metamorphosis to a desert person in a year and a half after a half century in the midwest, so I will do my best to lower the humidity to something below swimming.

I did get an opportunity to get a good zinger in today though. I was on deck pretending to do something besides sweat, and I turned to the dugout and asked, "So, how much hotter than this do you think hell is?" The consensus was maybe about 30 degrees. Good night everybody! Don't forget to tip your server!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

but you get the best of both worlds in chicago because outside it is 100 degrees and inside the office it is about 20. it always felt wrong to me to be carrying a sweater or fleece to the office but it is a necessity, is there a meat locker or something in the building that i never knew about?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the acknowledgment of my metamorphosis, but I feel obliged to point out that it isn't really much of one - I spent every summer of that half a century in the midwest complaining about the weather. And, as you know from my summer visits, I haven't stopped!