27 July 2006

Sprinkles and IP

Last night, I went to get gelato with my brother's friend's girlfriend (long story, apparently we're friends now). We went to Mario and Gino's, the lovely neighborhood storefront that's open for approximately five minutes per year. I have no idea how they make money.

A (the girlfriend): I'd like the Bailey's flavor.

Scooper: Cup or cone?

A: Cup, please. And could I have rainbow sprinkles on that?

S: Oh, uhhh...I'm not allowed to put toppings on the gelato, only the ice cream.

A: Oh?

S: No. It's their policy or something. I can't use it for shakes either. But I can give you the sprinkles and then you can put them on.

Me: Do you know why?

S: No, that's just what they told me.


As far as I know, Mario and Gino's is a one shot deal, not a chain. And I can't decide if this is the weirdest thing I've ever heard or kind of cool. On one hand, you're in business to make money and if someone wants to put weird combinations of food together, what do you care? I mean, I think it's pretty weird to put rainbow sprinkles on high-quality gelato too, but as long as she's willing to give you the extra quarter...

On the other hand, they're proud of their gelato and this is their attempt to protect their intellectual property? Which is kind of heroic, if perhaps misguided.

If there was a third hand, it would wonder why anyone would ever get anything besides the hazlenut biscotti kind.

No comments: