10 July 2006

Schmank

I'm at the grocery store checkout and I've just finished unloading the cart. I pull out my trusty bright yellow debit card and swipe it, congratulating myself for not yet succumbing to the 'Pay by Touch' phenomenon (hello, Big Brother). I enter my pin, okay the amount aaand....


Cashier: "Oh, it didn't work."

Me: "It didn't?"

Cashier: "(sighs) Just try again."

I do and...

Me: Nothing.

Cashier: into microphone (bringing up major 'price check on tampons' associations) "Floor coverage to 3."

Floor Coverage Lady: "What's up?"

Cashier: "She used her TCF card and it came up as 'incorrect transaction.' I've never seen that before."

FCL: "Oh, yeah, sometimes TCF has that problem."

Me: (turning head incredulously to look at TCF branch a mere 30 feet away) "They do?"

FCL: "Yeah, do you have a check maybe?"

Me: "(sigh) no, but I live five minutes away. I guess I'll be back in ten minutes."

On my way out, I decide to stop by the TCF branch next to the door

Teller: "Oh, sorry we're closed."

Me: "Yeah, I know."
(mutters to self: Apparently, 'convenient hours' means you're open for an hour and a half on Sunday).
"My card didn't work at the checkout and I was wondering if you knew of any reason that might be the case?"

Teller: "Oooh, yeah, sometimes we have that problem."

Me: "So I've heard."


So, it seems like sometimes, it's time to get a new bank. There's this teller that flirts with me (half creepy, half fun) at the Citibank where I perform gopher duties for work. Maybe I could make his day...

No comments: